This article will explain the reasons for adding programs to your EHR and the steps to take to add them. Please be aware that you must follow these steps in this order they are listed and, to avoid chaos for your staff, this process should be done in a short period of time (24 hours).
When To Add Programs
- Reporting: Programs are most commonly used for reporting and accounting purposes. They provide a way to organize and report on staff, clients, billing and payments.
- Residential Services: When adding residential Programs to the database, programs are necessary to track your per diem, inpatient services.
- Clinical Documents: Programs can be used to maintain accuracy in the dataflow in your clinical documents. If you can have more than one active treatment plan for a client at a given time, you may need to introduce programs to your database to identify which program the data should flow within.
- Permissions: If staff should only see client information when that information pertains to a certain program, adding programs gives you that ability.
- Billing: If your agency has different type 2 (or organizational) NPI's and these NPI's are based on a specific program.
- You must follow these steps in this order and complete the entire process in a short period of time (24 hours).
- You are able to create programs at any time; however, doing so in an already established database is especially time-sensitive.
- Before you do any of the steps listed below, please send a ticket to Procentive support desk with a list of the Programs you're thinking of adding. Support will be able to ensure this is the best avenue for your intended purposes.
Add Programs for the First Time
Step 1: Assign Staff Permissions
- Since Programs can restrict permission to see a client in our EHR, this permission will need to be temporarily enabled in order for your staff to be able to see data while the steps below are being completed. Once the below steps have been completed, you may disable this permission to restrict staff access again.
- You will need to assign permission by editing the applicable roles. If you are not familiar with editing staff roles, please review this support article: Change Permissions (Edit a Role).
- In the Programs section of the list of permissions, assign each role the permission See clients in Programs outside of staffs programs.
Step 2: Create Programs
- Follow the steps in this article: Bill Based on Programs.
- Log off and log back into Procentive prior to moving forward with the next steps.
Step 3: Assign Programs to Clients
NOTE: Assign all clients at least one program.
- Go to the Clients Module.
- Double-click on a specific client record to open.
- The Change Client window will open.
- Click Program/Groups tab.
- Select a Default Program and check the checkbox next to the programs you want to add.
- Click the dates link.
- A new window will open.
- Enter dates, referral details (if applicable), and notes that pertain to this client's program assigned.
- Click edit referral types to add/modify your referral type dropdowns.
- Click Add.
- Click Close.
- A new window will open.
- Click Save.
Step 4: Assign Programs to Staff
NOTE: Assign all staff at least one program
- Go to the Staff Module.
- Double-click the staff row to open.
- Click the Programs tab.
- Select a Default Program and check the checkbox next to each program this staff should be associated with.
- Click Save.
NOTE: In order for staff to choose a program on a service line in the Time Module, they must have at least one program in common with the selected client.
Step 5: Settings Module
- Go to the Settings Module.
- Click the Setup tab.
- Locate the Clinical/Charting section.
- Select Yes for Require program.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Change.
- Click the Billing tab.
- In Require Selection of Program in Time choose Require.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Change.
IMPORTANT: Log off and log back on for these changes to take effect.
Refine Staff Permissions (If Needed)
- You can ensure that staff only see clients that share a program with them by disabling the permission See clients in Programs outside of staffs (mentioned in Step 1).
- If staff should be able to see all Clients in the Clients Module no matter their programs, then leave the permission See clients in Programs outside of staffs enabled for the role.