Some clients will have an HSA or HRA payment linked through their insurance, which will appear on an ERA and must be applied using the funds on that ERA in order to balance.
Identifying the HSA/HRA Payment
A payment being made from an HSA/HRA will appear on the ERA with the CARC code 187 and a negative amount indicating that funds have been removed from the HSA/HRA. Some payers will also place HSA or HRA in the Reference Number.
Posting the HSA/HRA Payment
- Go to the ERA module and open the ERA containing the HSA/HRA payment.
- Verify that the primary payer has been posted to indicate a patient responsibility, typically Deductible Adjustment, and that a Copay, Coinsurance, Deductible bill line has been created. If not, please post the processing information from the original payer.
- Click the Payments link under the DOS.
- A new window will appear showing the client's DOS billing and payment information from the Payments module.
- Click new on the Copay, Coinsurance, Deductible bill line.
- Click Select other payment.
- Using the search field, search and select the ERA where the payment is coming from.
- Select the Payment transaction type only; takeback credits cannot be used to apply HSA/HRA payments.
- Enter the amount being paid by the HSA/HRA.
- Be sure to apply the amount being paid. It may not be the full patient responsibility amount if the client's HSA does not have enough money to cover the full charge. In this situation you will post the amount of payment being received and leave the remaining balance as it is to be billed to the client.
- Click Save.